Ending Employment with the Archdiocese of Saint Louis
When your employment terminates from the Archdiocese of St. Louis, you may have some options to continue coverage. Please refer to the Handout for Benefit Terminations for further information regarding the benefit plans, eligibility, the costs, and the process to continue coverage, if applicable.
If you are an active participant in UHC and terminating employment you may be able to continue your coverage if eligible.
The coverage offered is through United Healthcare, OPTUM RX, Delta Dental, and Delta Vision. This is the same level of coverage as offered to active employees in either the Premier or Standard plan. You cannot separate the benefits; this is offered as one plan.
Please refer to the Early Retiree Plan and/or the Continuation of Coverage specific documents regarding the plan provisions, costs, and eligibility requirements for continuation of insurance coverage through the Archdiocese of St. Louis, noting the following:
- Your eligibility determines in which plan you may enroll.
- The monthly cost for the Early Retiree and the Continuation of Coverage plan is the same.
- The major differences between the two continuation options are the eligibility requirements and the duration period.
Please note that enrolling in either the Early Retiree or Continuation of Coverage Plan, is considered a Special Enrollment period, therefore, you may choose to change from the Standard plan to the Premier plan or Premier plan to Standard plan. The Major Provisions and Comparison document provides additional information regarding the Standard and Premier insurance plan options.
If you would like to enroll upon termination of employment, please fully complete the Continuation of Coverage Form, the Auto Debit Form, and include a voided or cancelled check. Submit all documents to the Office of Human Resources for eligibility review and processing
The Health Termination form with the last day of employment will be needed from the employer to initiate enrollment with the Early Retiree or Continuation of Coverage Plan. This form is typically sent by the employer to the assigned HR Coordinator for your location. Please contact the business manager/bookkeeper at your place of employment if you have any questions regarding this process.
When coverage ends for health insurance:
- If an employee terminates employment, the coverage will end on the last date of employment.
- If a teacher or Principal terminates employment, as a result of non-contract renewal, the coverage will end at the end of the contract.
- If a teacher terminates employment midyear, the coverage will end on the last date of employment.
- If an employee cancels coverage due to a qualifying event, coverage ends on the date of the qualifying event.
- If an employee’s dependent turns 26 years old, the coverage will end on the last day of the birthday month.
- The last paycheck does not determine the last date of employment.
- COBRA, a law regarding temporary continuation of coverage for qualified employees/dependents, is not applicable to church plans. It has no bearing on this plan or the Archdiocese of St. Louis. In its place, however, please refer to the provisions and costs for the Early Retiree and Continuation of Coverage Plans.
- The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 does not apply to church plans.
Please contact the Office of Human Resources at [email protected] for additional questions.
Thank you for your service to the Archdiocese of Saint Louis.