The Archdiocese of St. Louis invests in its employees and provides an environment with a focus on work/life balance and encourages its employees to be good stewards of the Church. We are a non-profit organization that encompasses 180 parishes, 110 schools, over 90 offices/agencies and a Catholic population of more than 500,000.
We currently have a full-time position as Director of Building and Real Estate available. This role is responsible for direct design and construction projects at archdiocesan facilities; provide design and construction information and services to parishes, schools and, agencies of the archdiocese with emphasis on project planning, procedural requirements,funding, cost control, common practice and contractual agreements. This role also manages all real estate transactions and leasing of property and directs facility management staff on archdiocesan properties.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Establish and update directives and protocols for archdiocesan construction projects, real estate transactions and leasing efforts.
- Oversee budgets for department and key archdiocesan facilities.
- Provide project oversight services for planning, design and construction for all parishes, schools and select archdiocesan agencies.
- Provide project management services for all archdiocesan buildings and facilities.
- Serve as contract authority for all archdiocesan, parish design and construction projects.
- Draft legal documents and serving as signatory authority on real estate transaction purchase and sale closings in conjunction with the General Counsel of the archdiocese.
- Maintain and publish monthly status reports on all real estate transactions and construction projects.
- Provide supporting documentation for real estate transactions and loan applications as submitted to the Archdiocesan Property and Finance committee.
- Direct pre-qualification efforts for approval of consultants and contractors working on archdiocesan projects.
- Work with the Archdiocesan finance office to help the parishes, schools and agencies develop attainable program budgets for all required work.
- Develop and establish engineering and construction policies and procedures.
- Direct and conduct facility assessments to determine condition and extent of deferred maintenance.
- In conjunction with the office of the General Counsel and Risk Management, review insurance claims, review various grant applications and participate in legal proceedings on property issues.
- Manage process of and serve as signatory authority for all property easement grants.
Knowledge & Experience Requirements
- 15 years of experience in project management and owner’s representation, with emphasis on commercial, institutional and educational facilities.
- 10 years of experience in managing real estate transactions.
- BS Degree in, Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management from a four year accredited college.
- Professional registration preferred (Architect or Engineer)
- Knowledge of building code requirements.
- Able to handle multiple tasks in a timely and professional manner.
- High level oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with others and to assimilate and understand information, in a manner consistent with the job functions.
- Ability to successfully motivate and manage a staff of 10 to 15
Skills & Attitudes Required for Success in Job
- Computer skills, particularly utilizing Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to work under pressure and handle multiple tasks
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment
- Good management skills, including the ability to organize, prioritize and evaluate work
Must be able to interact with various people including pastors, building maintenance personnel, building committees, donors, contractors, architects, engineers and any other related entities. Must be able to interact professionally, respectfully and diplomatically with diverse individuals and challenging personalities on difficult issues.
Qualified candidates may submit their resume and cover letter including salary requirements to Human Resources at [email protected]