Provides maintenance for parish/school buildings and grounds including semi-skilled carpentry, simple plumbing and electrical work, painting and other minor repair work. Troubleshoots, repairs, and maintains plumbing, mechanical and electrical systems. Conducts preventative maintenance inspections and performs required maintenance actions such as lubrication, cleaning, and filter changes. Groundwork may include mowing, pruning, and ice & snow removal with grounds equipment.
Duties & Responsibilities
● Performs as an operations technician.
o Maintains buildings and equipment
o Performs routine repairs and obtains necessary certification if required
o Purchases supplies for maintenance as needed
o Refers supplier contracts to Business Manager as directed
o Verifies receipt and condition of supplies while maintaining inventory
o Maintains open file of emergency systems, i.e., plumbing, electrical, fire, sewage, underground tanks, etc.
o Set up facilities for parish events as needed.
o Maintains a clean and safe environment in the work area, including collecting and disposing of trash and garbage as needed.
● Supervises and/or maintains grounds as directed on a seasonal basis
● Hauling and moving items and picking up parts or other equipment as requested by staff
● Maintains communication with appropriate persons.
o Maintains channels of communication with the Business Manager, Principal, or Pastor on an “as needed” basis
Knowledge & Experience Requirements
● Knowledge of and experience with light carpentry work required
● Knowledge of and experience with minor building repairs
● Knowledge and use of industrial strength cleaning chemicals
● Previous maintenance experience
● Boiler certification desirable
● HVAC maintenance knowledge highly desirable
Skills & Attitudes Required for Success in Job
● General knowledge and support of the Catholic Church, Catholic sacraments, Catholic rites and liturgies
● Must have necessary mechanical skills and the ability to work safely with machinery and equipment requiring considerable caution
● Must have good interpersonal communication skills
● Must have ability to organize and prioritize time
● Must have ability to perform outlined tasks
● Must have ability to supervise others
● Must be able to maintain confidentiality
● Willingness to work a flexible schedule with possible evening and/or weekend hours
● Ability to tolerate varying temperatures and climate changes
● Ability to lift 50 pounds, climb ladders and stand for long periods
● Ability to provide own transportation for job-related responsibilities
Must be able to work with Business Manager, the Pastor, and other parish employees
Resources for Which Accountable
Responsible for supplies and equipment used to perform work