Adorers of the Blood of Christ, U.S. Region
Founded by St. Maria de Mattias in 1834 in Italy, the mission of the Adorers of the Blood of Christ worldwide is to collaborate with Christ in His work of redemption. The sisters strive to build up the Body of Christ so that all creation can move toward "that beautiful order of things in which the great Son of God came to establish in His blood," according to St. Maria.
In the world today, the Adorers specifically live this out by witnessing to God's love and ministering that love to others, especially to the poor, oppressed and deprived.
The Adorers have 12 sisters in the Archdiocese of St. Louis. They serve in community leadership, parish ministry, counseling, social services and tutoring.
Adrian Dominican Sisters (Dominican Sisters Congregation of the Most Holy Rosary)
The Adrian Dominican Sisters, of Adrian, Michigan, are part of the worldwide Order of Preachers established in 1216 by St. Dominic. Our foremothers came from Holy Cross Convent in Regensburg, Bavaria, a Dominican monastery established in 1233 with a lineage that traces back to the first monastery for women established by St. Dominic in 1206.
The Adrian Dominican Sisters first came to the Archdiocese of St. Louis in August 1958 when one Sister began a two-year term as teacher at Marillac College. Other Sisters followed and in all, eight Sisters served in education in the Archdiocese through the present at: Aquinas Institute of Theology, Kenrick Seminary, and in the GED program of Rockwood School District.
The Collaborative Dominican Novitiate also brought in numerous Adrian Dominican Sisters from its establishment in St. Louis in 1988. Three Adrian Dominican Sisters served as Co-directors and numerous Sisters attended as novices – many making a difference as they spent days of ministry in schools, social service agencies, and healthcare settings.
Four Adrian Dominican Sisters served in the healthcare field at the Catholic Health Association, University Hospital, the Sisters of Mercy Health System, Ranken Jordan Pediatric Rehabilitation Center, and Ranken Jordan Children’s Hospital.
Finally, four Adrian Dominican Sisters came to the Archdiocese of St. Louis to serve in parishes and social service agencies, including the St. Louis Association of Community Organizations; Emmaus Community, a residential program of personal growth and development for women religious; Boys Hope Girls Hope; and St. Cronan Parish in St. Louis.
Currently, one Adrian Dominican Sister ministers in St. Louis, but the Congregation’s legacy remains active with nine Adrian Dominican Associates, who live out the Dominican charism through active ministry in healthcare, parish ministry, and active retirement.
Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (U.S. Province)
The Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, a Congregation of religious women that claims Mother Clelia Merloni as its foundress, first arrived in St. Louis to bring the Faith to the Italian immigrants. Since those early years downtown when they were known as “Missionary Zelatrices of the Sacred Heart,” the Sisters have served in over 20 different locations in greater St. Louis. The Apostles’ role in the great story of the Archdiocese of St. Louis began on January 24, 1913.
Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Central Province)
The Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus (Carmelites DCJ) were founded in 1891 in Berlin, Germany, to blend the contemplative spirit of Carmel with the active apostolate. Their charism is comprised of four facets – contemplation, reparation, spiritual motherhood, and mission. Their life has a deeply contemplative dimension. The life of a Carmelite is one devoted to penance, reparation, silence, and, most importantly, seeking union with God in prayer. In addition to chanting the Divine Office four times a day in community, their way of life also calls them to a half hour of silent contemplative prayer before the tabernacle in both the morning and the evening, a time to simply remain in His presence and love.
From this prayer flows their active works, which as Carmelites DCJ takes the form of being mothers who provide homes of love for the old and the young where they can be close to our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament and experience daily His love for them. All they do, whether in active works or in prayer, is done in a spirit of reparation and with a burning desire for the salvation of souls.
Congregation of Divine Providence, San Antonio, TX
We Sisters of Divine Providence are a community of women religious rooted in our confidence that God is provident. We participate in the mission of Jesus by responding to the needs of the time through ministry and service. We live our lives with complete trust in a provident God --guiding, loving, and caring for all creation.
We believe in the reality of Providence. We believe that the movements of history in which we participate are guided by the loving power of God. We believe that God cares for all creation. We believe that we have an active role in this creative redemption because God works in us and through us.
Congregation of Mary, Queen (American Region)
The Congregation of Mary, Queen is a religious institute of diocesan right, with our Motherhouse located in Vietnam and our regional/provincial house located in Springfield, MO. In 1991, the sisters began discerning the possibility of establishing a local convent in the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Then, Archbishop John L. May, visited with three of the sisters in the Congregation’s Regional Council. It was evident that St. Louis was an ideal place for establishing a new community of sisters and strengthening the Formation Program of the younger sisters.
Congregation of the Carmelite Religious (St. Louis Centre)
The Congregation of the Carmelite Religions has its hallowed origins in Bayonne, France. It is a part of the historic foundation of the Third Order apostolic of Mount Carmel established by Mother Veronica to prepare and train sisters for the Indian mission.
The Congregation believes in the proclamation of the Gospel through selfless service to the people of God. Education is our chief apostolate. The spirit of Carmel is our inspiration. We believe in a way of life that advocates uninterrupted contemplation of God even in the midst of a busy apostolate. The Lady of Mount Carmel is our Mother and Patroness and the saints of Carmel are our inspiration.
Our Motto: In His Presence We Stand and Serve.
Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul
In 1828, at the request of then St. Louis Bishop Joseph Rosati, four sisters set out from their Motherhouse in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in September to journey to St. Louis. Bishop Rosati requested the sisters to take charge of a hospital. When the sisters arrived, they found an expanding city and many in need of health care. The sisters established the first hospital west of the Mississippi River; today, it is known as DePaul Hospital. The sisters then began to serve in education and in needed social ministries. Mental health, care for orphans, and schools for the needy were opened and staffed.
Daughters of St. Paul
“You must be Saint Paul living today.” These words from Blessed James Alberione, founder of the Daughters of St. Paul, capture the life and mission of the sisters to “live and give Christ” to the people of today.
Living a profoundly Eucharistic spirituality and immersed in the culture of communication, the Daughters of St. Paul use media—print, visual, digital, music, and more—so that every person may encounter Christ, be transformed by His love, and in turn bring Christ’s love, peace, and justice to the world. The Daughters have been present in Saint Louis since 1973 and have operated Pauline Books & Media in Crestwood since 1989, where they offer Catholic resources from their publishing house (Pauline Books & Media Publishing) and host faith formation and prayer opportunities. Saint Louis is also the home of the Daughters of St. Paul postulancy, where young women beginning their life as Daughters of St. Paul start the initial formation process.
Dominican Sisters of Sparkill, NY (Congregation of Our Lady of the Rosary)
Though tracing their history to St. Dominic's founding of the Dominicans in 1215, the Sparkill Dominicans came to be in 1876, with sisters Alice Mary and Lucy Thorpe serving poor in New York City. They purchased property in Sparkill in 1884 and used it as a base of operations for their education ministry in the 1900s. Locally, the community ministers at East Side Heart and Home Family Center in East St. Louis.
The Dominican Sisters of Sparkill taught at numerous parish schools in the Archdiocese of St. Louis -- part of their mission that includes residential housing for the elderly and handicapped, missions in Pakistan and Peru, and the arts and culture.
At present, there are 40 Sparkill, Dominican Sisters and 16 associates ministering to God's people in St. Louis. We minister to the marginalized in many differing areas: The Family Center in East St. Louis and Queen of Peace Center and Nia Kuumba Spirituality Center in St. Louis. We serve in Prison Ministry and in Health Ministries. Our sisters are involved in Spiritual Direction, Prayer and Healing Ministries, and Community Service. In the field of Education, we have sisters who are Principals, Registrar, and Teachers as well as Educators working with Immigrant and Refugee Women's Program. We are involved in Pastoral Care and Parish Ministers.
Dominican Sisters (Congregation of St. Cecilia) (Nashville, TN)
Eight centuries ago St. Dominic de Guzman founded a new religious Order whose contemplative framework was to support its active mission of preaching for the salvation of souls. Today, the Dominican Sisters of Saint Cecilia Congregation live out this mission through a life of prayer, study and community, which nourishes a contemplative spirit and bears fruit in their teaching apostolate.
In the spirit of Saint Dominic, the community embraces the Church’s call to the New Evangelization, responding creatively to the needs of our time. The Sisters’ apostolate includes classroom teaching preschool through college; family formation programs; campus ministry and work with young people; retreats and other catechetical efforts that encourage growth in the faith and in the spiritual life.
Serving in 15 U.S. states, and in Canada, Australia, Italy, Scotland, and the Netherlands, the Sisters seek to inspire students and their families to engage and transform the culture with the saving truths of the Gospel.
Founded in 1860 in Nashville, Tennessee, the Congregation of St. Cecilia today numbers over 300 Sisters. The community is marked by joyful fidelity to the Church, devotion to Christ in the Eucharist and to his Blessed Mother, and zeal for teaching the truth.
Eucharistic Missionaries of St. Theresa
One of the richest blessing of our St John Bosco parish family is our strong sense of tradition. From our original founding as a parish community in 1972, St John Bosco has been home for families who take great pride in our faith and the sense of tradition that has permeated our history. Two Sisters of the Community of the Eucharistic Missionaries from Mexico City began to take care of the rectory residence, and Sisters continue as members of the rectory staff.
Franciscan Sisters of Mary
On November 16, 1872, Mother Mary Odilia Berger and her five companions landed on the St. Louis riverfront with a mission—a mission that remains the mission of the congregation today: “to be the presence of the loving, serving, compassionate, healing Jesus.” They set to work in the poorest neighborhoods of the city, caring for the sick and poor in their homes, people who would never be able to afford medical care.
The Franciscan Sisters of Mary continue to carry out their mission “to be the presence of the loving, serving, compassionate, healing Jesus” with their special focus on “compassionate care of creation in collaboration with others.”
Franciscan Sisters of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
One hundred years ago, the Spirit manifested itself to three women of faith, prophetic vision, and courage—Sister Solana Leczna, Sister Ernestine Matz, and Sister Hilaria Matz, members of the Franciscan Sisters of Mary Immaculate of Joliet, Illinois. Responding to the needs of Polish immigrants, these three Sisters separated from the Joliet Franciscans to remain at St. Stanislaus Kostka in St. Louis, a parish consisting of 2300 parishioners with over 600 children in the school where the Sisters taught. In the early twentieth century, the vision of the Sisters broadened beyond only Polish-speaking parishes to include staffing other schools in predominantly rural parishes in Missouri and Illinois.
Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
The Handmaids of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, whose generalate is in Rome, have as their particular mission in the Church reparation to the Heart of Jesus, centered in the Eucharist, and as characteristic expression, worship of adoration to Christ in the Eucharist and education in service of the Gospel, principally for the poor, by means of formation of children and youth in Educational Centers, hospitality to those coming to pray in Houses of Spirituality, and pastoral involvement with various groups of young people and adults.
Hospital Sisters of Saint Francis
Hospital Sisters of Saint Francis are women who have dedicated their lives to and for the love of Christ Jesus, and to their brothers and sisters in Christ. Public vows made to God, through the church and community, are the manifestation of a life of simplicity and service to the sick and poor.