Youth Program Bilingual Teacher Position (part-time)
As a member of the Federation of Catholic Charities of St.Louis, and practicing the teachings, compassion and love of Jesus Christ, St.Francis Community Services serves individuals and families in need, through community-based, culturally sensitive programs, helping people to recognize their strengths, overcome obstacles and achieve a better tomorrow.
St. Francis Community Services Southside Center has an immediate opening for a bilingual (Spanish) teacher who is enthusiastic about working with children of immigrant families in our youth program. The teacher will implement curriculum and facilitate groups during after-school youth programs and summer camp for Kindergarten through 5th grade students and assist with selected programming for 6th through 12th grade students. The position is part-time(with benefits), requiring availability 25 hours per week in the afternoons and evenings until 7:15 pm Monday through Friday during the school year (August through May) and in the daytime during the summer (June and July).
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage classroom environment during groups while providing direct instruction and supervision in the areas of social and emotional learning; fitness and nutrition; and reading intervention,using established and developed curriculum.
- Assist in the development of curriculum materials.
- Conduct periodic assessments of participants’ progress in skills development and relay progress and program updates to parents and other youth program staff.
- Prepare for, execute, and clean up after instructional activities by organizing materials and supplies and directing support staff and volunteers.
- Assist in student recruitment and registration; education advocacy for participating families; and special events.
Knowledge and Expertise Requirements
- Education: High school diploma required; Bachelor’s degree preferred; studies in education, social work, human services, or other related field preferred.
- Bilingual (oral and written) Spanish or Vietnamese and English required.
- Teaching experience or group facilitation with school-age youth in an academic and/or recreational settingrequired. Experience working with English language learners preferred.
- Knowledge/experience in cultural competency, curriculum planning, child development, behavior management, andreading/language skills development.
- Clean driving record, valid State driver’s license, current automobile insurance, and ability to acquire MissouriClass E driver’s license.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, word processing, and data entry.
To apply, please send resumes and cover letters to Karina Skrbec, Youth Program Coordinator, at [email protected].