The Archdiocese of St. Louis invests in its employees and provides an environment with a focus on work/life balance and encourages its employees to be good stewards of the Church. We are anon-profit organization that encompasses 180 parishes, 110 schools, over 90 offices/agencies and a Catholic population of more than 500,000.
We are currently seeking to fill the opportunity of Director of Internal Audit. Under the administrative direction and supervision of the Chief Financial Officer, this role will perform internal audit procedures and make internal control recommendations in order to help safeguard the assets of the Archdiocese. The Director also will make recommendations to the CFO and to all member organizations of the Archdiocese regarding best practices, improvements in internal control, and reported findings. The Director will adhere to the provisions of Canon law and the Archdiocesan statutes and policies regarding the financial affairs of the Archdiocese and will report on such compliance by the entities being audited.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Direct, supervise, and manages the Internal Audit staff.
- Report on compliance with generally accepted and/or established internal control procedures and practices and Archdiocesan statutes and policies by examining financial and other related records, reports, operating practices, and documentation of the various parishes and other entities of the Archdiocese.
- Verify assets and liabilities by inspecting or comparing items to appropriate documentation.
- Prepare written reports and audit work papers to document audit tests and findings.
- Review adequacy of internal control systems by completing audit questionnaires or by otherwise documenting established procedures.
- Prepare or update internal audit programs and internal control questionnaires and narratives which are responsive to the needs of the Archdiocese and its various parishes and other entities.
- Communicate audit findings in written audit reports which are reviewed and discussed with the management of the entities being audited and with the CFO before they are finalized.
- Review operating reports to determine areas needing special attention because of significant budget variances or other unusual matters noted.
- Assist with audits or investigations when irregularities are either reported or suspected.
- Maintain professional competence and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and training, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in approved professional societies.
- Assist external auditors to minimize costs and improve effectiveness and efficiency of the external audits.
- Determine that all required Archdiocesan Form 990s are prepared by qualified professionals and are electronically submitted to the IRS.
- Maintain and conducts follow-up for Financial Misconduct Hotline.
- Review Federal Exclusion Reports prepared by Finance Office and follows up on any matches.
- Prepare an annual budget for the internal audit function, which will be a part of the Archdiocesan administrative budget.
- Perform risk assessments as required.
Knowledge & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Auditing, or a related financial field of study.
- Minimum of four years of public accounting experience or other suitable equivalent experience.
- Licensed Certified Public Accountant in good standing with the State of Missouri.
- Must be a member in good standing of a recognized national and Missouri professional society of CPA’s.
Skills & Attitudes Required for Success in Job
- Must adhere to the principles of the Christian Witness Statement of the Archdiocese of St. Louis and must be supportive of the mission of the Roman Catholic Church of the Archdiocese of St. Louis.
- Proven ability to work in a decentralized organization.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work successfully with many different people.
- Excellent written and oral communication and review skills.
The Director of Internal Audit will work directly for the Chief Financial Officer but also will have significant contact with the Vicars General of the Archdiocese, the pastors of parishes, the President and other executives of Catholic Charities, the directors of various charitable and social service agencies, the Superintendent of Catholic Education, Presidents of Archdiocesan High Schools, school principals, and management personnel of other offices and agencies of the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Internal Audit will be allowed access to any and all information they deem necessary to perform internal audits. All work is to be kept confidential and is to be discussed only with the Chief Financial Officer, anyone else the CFO considers appropriate, and the heads of the agency/parish/school being audited.
Because of the sensitivity of certain audit findings, a high degree of confidentiality is required. Procedures performed and findings generally are to be reported only to those with a “need to know.” This generally would include the management of the entity being audited, the entity’s immediate supervisor(s), the Chief Financial Officer, the Vicars General and, in some cases, the Archbishop.
Qualified candidates may submit their resume and cover letter including salary requirements to Human Resources at email@example.com.