General Summary: Create and direct an environment which leads middle school youth into a relationship with God through Jesus and the Church. Engage youth in active participation in the celebration of the Eucharist, the teachings of Jesus Christ and the Church, and the experience of Catholic community. This position includes collaboration with the Life Teen High School Ministry, as well as elements of evangelization and formation for adult parishioners as directed by the Pastor.
Send cover letter and resume to Fr. Nick Kastenholz at [email protected]
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Edge Middle School Youth Minister:
a. Pastoral availability to all middle school age youth from Assumption Parish, both enrolled in PSR and Assumption School
i. Establish relationships with Assumption School students in effort to involve them in the Edge Community
b. Coordinate the Edge Middle School Ministry program as preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation in tandem with Director of Religious Education and Director of Youth Ministry.
i. Recruit, train, and supervise Edge Core Team
ii. Plan, prepare, and lead Wednesday Edge Sessions and activities with delegation to Edge Core Members
iii. Plan, direct and coordinate the Luke 18 Retreat in collaboration with Director of Youth Ministry
c. Serve as an active member of the Life Teen Core Team to promote inward and outward flow of Assumption Youth Ministry Program.
d. Serve as a resource person to middle school youth, core team members, parents/guardians, and parishioners.
2. Pastoral Associate:
a. Coordinate adult faith formation groups and retreats
b. Liturgical coordination, particularly for major celebrations as needed
c. Direct stewardship activities including stewardship weekends and promoting stewardship in parish culture
1. Serve as part of youth ministry team responsible for Assumption Youth Ministry Program by providing direction, planning, coordination and evaluation of programs.
2. Procure materials and schedule all required elements for Stewardship Sundays, including recording and distribution of information from commitment cards.
3. Schedule and plan adult faith formation events: retreats, talks, workshops, etc.
4. Serve as staff liaison to various liturgical ministry heads: lectors, sacristans, sound techs, ushers, etc.
5. Collaborate with Director of Youth Ministry in relation to Life Teen ministry and Luke 18 Retreat
6. Determine and schedule appropriate meeting locations in parish.
7. Attend monthly Pastoral Staff Meetings.
8. Develop and manage Edge budget.
9. Maintain contact with middle school youth and parents/guardians in a timely manner to keep them informed of activities through parish websites, emails, social media, etc.
10. Communicate youth ministry events/liturgical needs/stewardship events to staff and parish in timely manner
11. Ensure all core members and volunteers are in compliance in Protecting God’s Children as required by the Archdiocese of St. Louis
a.) BA degree in religious education or theology preferred; Bachelor’s required.
a.) Background in youth ministry and parish ministry.
Knowledge, skills, abilities:
a.) Confirmed, practicing Catholic.
b.) Qualified by State and Diocesan Policies and Regulations regarding prior accusation or conviction of sexual abuse.
c.) Well-developed communication skills.
d.) Liturgical ministry knowledge and experience.
e.) Emotionally and spiritually mature.
f.) Ability to be responsible for variety of ministerial tasks.
g.) Able to communicate the Catholic faith/teachings to youth and adults.
h.) Able to attend and engage in continuing youth ministry education.
i.) Able to integrate contemporary world events with curriculum.
j.) Able to use Microsoft products: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Google Drive.
k.) Familiar with use of modern social media.
l.) Possess a working knowledge of AV equipment.
a.) Must possess energy level comparable to teens.
b.) Must be able to lift and move 50 lbs.
1.) Weekend, evening, holiday and holy day duties.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work required of this position, It is not meant to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required.