The Archdiocese of St. Louis values its employees and provides an environment with a focus on work/life balance, an excellent benefits package and encourages its employees to be good stewards of the Church. We are a non-profit organization that encompasses 180 parishes, 110 schools, over 90 offices/agencies and a Catholic population of more than 500,000.
We currently have an opportunity for a full-time Internal Auditor. This position will work with parishes and Archdiocesan agencies to determine the reliability of financial information, ensure compliance with Archdiocesan policies and to make sure good internal controls are have been established or are being followed to protect the assets of the Archdiocese and parishes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reports on compliance with generally accepted and/or established internal control procedures and practices and Archdiocesan statutes and policies by examining financial and other related records, reports, operating practices, and documentation of various parishes and other entities of the Archdiocese.
- Verifies assets and liabilities by inspecting or comparing items to appropriate documentation.
- Prepares written reports and audit work-papers to document audit tests and findings.
- Reviews adequacy of internal control systems by completing audit questionnaires or by otherwise documenting established procedures.
- Prepares internal audit reports to be reviewed by the Director of Internal Audit.
- Assists with audits or investigations when irregularities are either reported or suspected.
- Maintains knowledge in field through continuing education.
- Assists external auditors as directed.
Knowledge & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Auditing.
- Two or more years of audit experience.
- Licensed CPA (Certified Public Accountant). Consideration for candidates willing and able to obtain professional licensure within 1 year of employment.
- Understanding of not-for-profit GAAP.
- Working knowledge of Catholic organizations.
Skills &Attitudes Required for Success in Job:
- Must adhere to the principles of the Christian Witness Statement of the Archdiocese of St. Louis and must be supportive of the mission of the Roman Catholic Church of the Archdiocese of St. Louis.
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks (parishes) and experience with auditing other high-end accounting software (Lawson).
- Ability to work with individuals with a wide range of accounting knowledge and interview skills.
- Extensive knowledge of accounting processes and“Best Practices”.
- Ability to export and import data.
- Extensive analytical skills.
- Ability to prepare financial statements and management letter points that can be easily understood by the end user.
- Ability to work in a decentralized environment.
- Above average typing skills (MS Word).
- Good communication and written skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
Qualified candidates may submit their resume and cover letter including salary requirements to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.