The Archdiocese of Saint Louis has an opportunity for a full-time Accountant. This position is part of the Finance Office and is located at the Cardinal Rigali Center in Shrewsbury, MO. The Archdiocese is a non-profit organization which encompasses 180 parishes, 110 schools, over 90 offices/agencies and a Catholic population of more than 500,000. We have been recognized as a St.Louis TOP WORKPLACE for the last three years. We value our employees by providing a balance between work and everyday life. We also offer a competitive benefits package available upon hire and a generous paid time off schedule.
This role applies principles of accounting to analyze financial information and prepare financial reports by performing the following duties.
- Responsible for multi-agency financial records possibly including at least one complex agency.
- Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare and release journal entries to general ledger and all subsidiary application systems.
- Reviews information posted to subsidiary application systems prior to posting to general ledger. Subsystems include accounts receivable, asset management and accounts payable.
- Reviews all accounts receivable and/or accounts payable batches for accuracy before they are processed.
- Prepares general ledger account reconciliations each month.
- Analyzes financial information detailing assets, liabilities, revenue and expenses, and prepares balance sheet, statement of activities, and other reports to summarize and interpret current and projected financial position for the agency director.
- Prepares end of month financial reports including as requested by Agency Director and/or Finance Office Management.
- Assists the director of the agency with budget and explains quarterly and/or monthly variances as required.
- Attends agency board/finance meetings as needed.
- Prepares audit work papers and schedules.
- Prepares or assists in preparing special reports as needed, i.e., United Way, SEFA (A133) and Form 990.
- Works with agency on grants and grant compliance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university and two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word. Experience with Infor/Lawson accounting software is considered a strong plus.
Skills & Attitudes Required for Success in Job:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from agency directors.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions,proportions, percentages. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Well organized, extremely efficient and pro-active. Ability to meet deadlines ahead of schedule. Ability to take on special projects without sacrificing the quality of the normal workload. Anticipate the needs of directors or manager by providing financial reports or spreadsheets. Needs minimal supervision.
Qualified candidates may submit their resume and cover letter including salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.