ARCHDIOCESAN JAZZ FESTIVAL
Location: DeSmet Jesuit High School / 233 N. New Ballas Road / St. Louis, MO 63141
Time: 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. (Times will be made definite when the number of participating ensembles becomes known.)
Entry Fee: $50 per ensemble
Each jazz ensemble will have 20 minutes on stage to perform and receive written and recorded comments from two clinicians. After each performance, ensembles will be escorted to a separate rehearsal space for a 20-minute workshop with one of the clinicians who just heard them perform.
- Each ensemble will be given 20 minutes to set up, tune up, perform, and take down.
- Each ensemble may perform a maximum of three (3) selections.
- A short warm-up number is permissible and will not be adjudicated.
- Each ensemble will perform on stage.
- All ensembles will use a standard jazz band set-up.
- Ensembles are welcome to listen to other schools perform either before or after their ensemble's performance.
- Ensembles should dress uniformly and look nice and neat.
- Choose quality jazz band music. Improvisation is strongly encouraged.
- Number the measures of each score for the adjudicators.
- There will be an available room for warming up. Each ensemble may use the warm-up room the 20 minute period prior to their performance.
- The festival will be evaluative, NOT COMPETITIVE. Ensembles will receive a written evaluation form and a CD recording of comments made by the adjudicators during the performance.
- The following equipment will be available for use:
drum set, amps, piano,
chairs and stands, one microphone for soloist, and vibraphone