The Archives endeavors to assist researchers by making the heritage of the Archdiocese of St. Louis available to them within the guidelines of civil and canon law, conservation considerations and as resources permit. The Archives is the official repository for the records of the Archdiocese of St. Louis, and serves as the memory of the established Catholic Church in the region.
Finding aids are posted online as they are created. Please contact the office to discuss materials not listed here. To easily search a PDF document, use Ctrl+F to bring up a search field.
Archbishops/Bishops and Auxiliary Bishops
Auxiliary and Co-adjutor Bishops
Archdiocesan Agencies, Institutions and Catholic Organizations
Biographical Information on Deceased Diocesan Clergy
Sacramental Registers of Closed Parishes
St. Joseph Home for Boys Records, 1829-2001
Publications on Microfilm (35 mm)
- Shepherd of the Valley (1832-1836; 1850-1854) -- DIGITIZED! See https://thecatholicnewsarchive.org/
- Catholic Herald (Dec 1921- May 1948)
- Church Progress (May 1882 – May 1929)
- The Western Watchman (1872-1924)
- The Sunday Watchman (1925-1933)
- The St. Louis Register (1941-1956)
- Oriflamme (1916-1952)
- The St. Louis Review (1957-2008)
Media & Reference.
The audiovisual collection consists of videos, films, reel to reel tapes, TV reels (16 mm), slides, audiocassette tapes and DVDs. Most are from the closed Archdiocesan Radio and TV Office. The Official Catholic Directory (1822 to present) and the Archdiocesan Yearbooks (1947 to present) are some of the most frequently consulted reference materials.
- History of the archdiocese of St. Louis : in its various stages of development from A.D. 1673 to A.D. 1928, by John E. Rothensteiner (St. Louis, MO: Blackwell Wielandy Co., 1928). Access provided by University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign via Internet Archive.
- St. Louis Catholic Historical Review (St. Louis, MO: Catholic Historical Society of St. Louis, 1918-1923). This journal ran for 5 years and includes 5 volumes. Access provided by the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center via Internet Archive.
- Das Katholische Deutschthum von St. Louis: in seinen 20 Gemeinden [Catholic Germans in St. Louis] (Amerika. (St. Louis, Mo.), Catholic Church. Archdiocese of Saint Louis 1896). Access provided by the New York Public Library via Internet Archive.
- Chapel of Saint Vincent de Paul at the Archdiocesan Pastoral Center: A History and Tour, edited by Audrey P. Newcomer and Rev. Thomas Keller (St. Louis: Archdiocese of St. Louis, 2000).