Closed Parishes

Parish Name

Opened

Closed

Mergers or Building razed

Annunciation - St. Louis City

1861

1951

Building demolished in 1951.

Ascension / St. Paul - Normandy

1947

2008

Ascension and St. Paul (Pine Lawn) merged in 1995 to form Ascension/St. Paul, which closed in 2008.

Assumption - Herculaneum

1916

2016

 

Assumption - Perryville

1817

1965

Building demolished.

Assumption - St. Louis City

1861

1965

Building demolished.

Corpus Christi - Jennings

1915

2005

In 2005, the parish merged with St. Lucy to form Holy Name of Jesus Parish. 

Good Shepherd - Ferguson

1958

2005

In 2005, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta was formed by merging Good Shepherd, Sts. John & James, St. Bartholomew, and St. Sebastian.

Holy Angels / Our Lady of the Angels - Kinloch

1931

2002

In 2002, the property was donated to the City of Kinloch for a Museum and learning center, the church demolished.

Holy Cross - St. Louis City

1863

1993

Our Lady of Mount Carmel and Holy Cross merged to form Our Lady of the Holy Cross in 1993.

Holy Family - St. Louis City

1898

2005

 

Holy Ghost - Berkeley

1923

1999

 

Holy Ghost - St. Louis City

1879

1962

Visitation and Holy Ghost merged in 1961 to form Visitation-Holy Ghost. It was renamed Visitation in 1975.

Holy Guardian Angels - St. Louis City

1866

1991

 

Holy Innocents - St. Louis City

1854

2005

 

Immacualte Conception - St. Mary

1874

2018

 

Immaculate Conception - St. Louis City

1854

1977

In 1977, St. Henry merged with Immaculate Conception to form Immaculate Conception/St. Henry.

Immaculate Conception / St. Henry  - St. Louis City

1977

2005

In 1977, St. Henry merged with Immaculate Conception to form Immaculate Conception/St. Henry.

Mary, Queen of the Universe - Lemay

1955

2003

The church became the chapel for St. Mark school.

Most Blessed Sacrament - St. Louis City

1908

2001

 

Most Holy Name of Jesus - St. Louis City

1865

1992

In 1992, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Most Holy Name, St. Liborius and Most Holy Trinity merged into the Most Holy Trinity location.

Most Holy Rosary - St. Louis City

1891

1994

In 1994, St. Engelbert and Most Holy Rosary merged to form St. Elizabeth Mother of John the Baptist.

Most Holy Trinity - St. Louis City

1898

1982

In 1992, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Most Holy Name, St. Liborius and Most Holy Trinity merged into the Most Holy Trinity location.

Most Precious Blood - St. Louis City

1961

2003

 

Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Belgique

1884

1992

 

Nativity of Our Lord - St. Louis City

1904

1982

 

North American Martyrs - Florissant

1955

2005

 

Notre Dame de Lourdes - Wellston

1902

1992

In 1992, the parish of St. Augustine was formed by merging Notre Dame, St. Barbara, St. Mark, St. Rose and St. Edward.

Our Lady Help of Christians - St. Louis City

1900

1975

Building demolished in 1975.

Our Lady of Covandago - St. Louis City

1915

1932

 

Our Lady of Czestochowa - St. Louis City

1906

1957

Building demolished in 1957.

Our Lady of Fatima - Florissant

1950

2005

In 2005, St. Philippine Duchesne Parish was formed by merging St. Dismas, Our Lady of Fatima and St. Thomas the Apostle.

Our Lady of Good Counsel - Bellefontaine Neighbors

1951

2005

 

Our Lady of Good Counsel - St. Louis City

1894

1950

Parish moved to Bellefontaine Neighbors, MO. 

Our Lady of Loretto - Spanish Lake

1959

2005

In 2005, the parish of Our Lady of the Rosary was formed by merging Our Lady of Loretto (Spanish Lake) St. Aloysius (Spanish Lake) and a portion of Transfiguration.

Our Lady of Mercy - Hazelwood

1964

2005

 

Our Lady of Mount Carmel - St. Louis City

1871

1993

Our Lady of Mount Carmel and Holy Cross merged to form Our Lady of the Holy Cross in 1993.

Our Lady of Perpetual Help - St. Louis City

1874

1992

A fire destroyed the church in 1987. In 1992, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Most Holy Name, St. Liborius and Most Holy Trinity merged into the Most Holy Trinity location.

Our Lady of the Rosary - Claryville

1874

1963

 

Our Lady of the Rosary - Spanish Lake

2005

2016

Our Lady of the Rosary Parish was formed in 2005, with the merger of Our Lady of Loretto, St. Aloysius (Spanish Lake) and a small portion of Transfiguration (Florissant) parishes.

Sacred Heart of Jesus - St. Louis City

1871

1978

The building was destroyed by fire in 1986.

Simon of Cyrene - St. Louis City

1993

2005

Simon of Cyrene was formed from the merger of St. Philip Neri and St. Adalbert parishes in 1993.

St. Adalbert - St. Louis City

1912

1993

St. Adalbert and St. Philip Neri merged to form Simon of Cyrene in 1993.

St. Agnes - St. Louis City

1891

1993

 

St. Aloysius - Spanish Lake

1908

2005

In 2005, the parish of Our Lady of the Rosary was formed by merging Our Lady of Loretto (Spanish Lake) St. Aloysius (Spanish Lake) and a portion of Transfiguration.

St. Aloysius Gonzaga - St. Louis

1892

2005

The buildings were demolished.

St. Ann - St. Louis City

1897

1992

In the summer of 1992 it was merged with Visitation-Holy Ghost.

St. Ann Shrine (Visitation) - St. Louis City

1995

2016

 

St. Augustine - St. Louis City

1874

1982

 

St. Barbara - St. Louis City

1893

1992

In 1992, the parish of St. Augustine was formed by merging Notre Dame, St. Barbara, St. Mark, St. Rose and St. Edward.

St. Bartholomew - Hazelwood

1959

2005

In 2005, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta was formed by merging Good Shepherd, Sts. John & James, St. Bartholomew, and St. Sebastian.

St. Bernard - St. Louis City

1874

1973

The building was razed for highway construction.

St. Blaise - St. Louis City

1961

2004

In 2004 St. Blaise and St. Lawrence (Bridgeton) merged to form Holy Spirit Parish.

St. Bonaventure - St. Louis City

1871

1883

Building was demolished.

St. Boniface - Perryville

1869

1964

Building was demolished.

St. Boniface - St. Louis City

1869

1964

 

St. Bridget of Erin - St. Louis City

1853

2003

 

St. Casimir - Hathaway Manor

1956

1992

 

St. Casimir - St. Louis City

1889

1955

Building was razed for highway construction.

St. Catherine of Alexandria - Riverview

1958

2005

 

St. Catherine of Siena - Pagedale

1921

2005

 

St. Charles Borromeo - St. Louis City

1903

1982

Buildings were demolished.

St. Christopher - Florissant

1967

2005

 

St. Columbkille - St. Louis City

1872

1952

 

St. Dismas - Florissant

1957

2005

In 2005, St. Philippine Duchesne Parish was formed by merging St. Dismas, Our Lady of Fatima and St. Thomas the Apostle.

St. Dominic Savio

1956

2018

In 2018, St. George and St. Dominic Savio merged to form St. John Paul II Parish. 

St. Edward - St. Louis City

1893

1992

In 1992, the parish of St. Augustine was formed by merging Notre Dame, St. Barbara, St. Mark, St. Rose and St. Edward.

St. Elizabeth - St. Louis City

1873

1951

The parish was suppressed by Cardinal Ritter to encourage racial integration.

St. Engelbert - St. Louis City

1891

1994

In 1994, St. Engelbert and Most Holy Rosary merged to form St. Elizabeth Mother of John the Baptist.

St. Frances Xavier Cabrini - Jennings

1965

1999

 

St. Francis De Sales - St. Louis City

1867

2005

In 2005 it closed as a parish and was reopened as an oratory run by the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest.

St. George - Affton

1915

2018

In 2018, St. George and St. Dominic Savio merged to form St. John Paul II Parish. 

St. Gregory - St. Ann

1942

2002

 

St. Hedwig - St. Louis City

1904

2005

 

St. Henry - St. Louis City

1885

1977

In 1977, St. Henry merged with Immaculate Conception to form Immaculate Conception/St. Henry.

St. Jerome - St. Louis City

1952

2005

 

St. John Nepomuk - St. Louis City

1854

2005

Closed as a parish in 2005 and reopened as a chapel. They still retain the sacramental registers.

St. John the Evangelist - Lithium

1904

1985

 

St. Joseph - St. Louis City

1844

1979

It was closed in 1979 and reclassified as a shrine.

St Joseph National Lithuanian - St. Louis City

1915

1970

 

St. Kevin - St. Ann

1953

2002

 

St. Kevin - St. Louis City

1876

1904

 

St. Lawrence O'Toole - St. Louis City

1855

1948

Building was demolished.

St. Lawrence the Martyr - Bridgeton

1960

2004

Building was demolished.

St. Leo - St. Louis City

1888

1978

Building was demolished.

St. Liborius - St. Louis City

1856

1992

In 1992, Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Most Holy Name, St. Liborius and Most Holy Trinity merged into the Most Holy Trinity location.

St. Louise de Marillac - Jennings

1935

1999

 

St. Lucy - St. Louis City

1957

1998

In 2005, the parish merged with Corpus Christi to form Holy Name of Jesus Parish. 

St. Malachy - St. Louis City

1858

1959

Building was demolished.

St. Mark - St. Louis City

1893

1992

In 1992, the parish of St. Augustine was formed by merging Notre Dame, St. Barbara, St. Mark, St. Rose and St. Edward.

St. Mary of Victories - St. Louis City

1860

2005

Closed as a parish in 2005 and reopened as a chapel. 

St. Mary's - Bridgeton

1851

2001

Building was demolished.

St. Michael - St. Louis City

1849

1975

 

St. Patrick - St. Louis Convention Center

1981

2009

 

St. Patrick - University City

1940

2001

The parish closed in 2001 and is now St. Andrew Kim Catholic Church.

St. Patrick - St. Louis City (6th and Biddle)

1843

1973

Building was demolished.

St. Paul the Apostle - Pine Lawn

1909

1995

Ascension and St. Paul (Pine Lawn) merged in 1995 to form Ascension/St. Paul, which closed in 2008.

St. Paul - St. Louis City

1909

1995

 

St. Peter Claver - Kinloch

1916

1956

 

St. Philip Neri - St. Louis City

1919

1993

St. Adalbert and St. Philip Neri merged to form Simon of Cyrene in 1993.

St. Pius X - Glasgow Village

1954

2005

 

St. Rose of Lima - St. Louis City

1884

1992

In 1992, the parish of St. Augustine was formed by merging Notre Dame, St. Barbara, St. Mark, St. Rose and St. Edward.

St. Sebastian - St. Louis City

1953

2005

In 2005, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta was formed by merging Good Shepherd, Sts. John & James, St. Bartholomew, and St. Sebastian.

St. Stanislaus Kostka - St. Louis City

1880

2005

Due to a schism in 2005, the parish was canonically suppressed and is not affiated with the Roman Catholic Church.

St. Stephen of Hungary - St. Louis City

1934

1957

 

St. Teresa of Avila - St. Louis City

1885

2003

 

St. Thomas More - Bel Ridge

1957

1999

 

St. Thomas of Aquin - St. Louis City

1882

2005

 

St. Thomas the Apostle - Florissant

1960

2005

In 2005, St. Philippine Duchesne Parish was formed by merging St. Dismas, Our Lady of Fatima and St. Thomas the Apostle.

St. Timothy - St. Louis City

1958

2003

 

St. William - Woodson Terrace

1953

2002

 

Sts. John and James - Ferguson

1882

2005

In 2005, Blessed Teresa of Calcutta was formed by merging Good Shepherd, Sts. John & James, St. Bartholomew, and St. Sebastian.

Sts. Mary and Joseph - St. Louis City

1821

2005

Closed as a parish in 2005 and reopened as a chapel. 

Transfiguration - Florissant

1965

2005

In 2005, the parish of Our Lady of the Rosary was formed by merging Our Lady of Loretto (Spanish Lake) St. Aloysius (Spanish Lake) and a portion of Transfiguration.

Visitation/St. Ann - St. Louis City

1992

2016

Visitation merged with Holy Ghost in 1961 to form Visitation-Holy Ghost. It was renamed Visitation in 1975. In 1992, it merged with St. Ann Parish and Shrine to form Visitation/St. Ann Shrine.