Kerygma – The Core Message
What Is It?
- The word “kerygma” is a Greek word meaning “herald, proclaim or preach.”
- Christian Kerygma is the effective proclamation of salvation: what God has done in the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus.
- The Kerygma is the center of all evangelizing efforts.
The Power of Conversion
- The “first” (most qualitative, the core, the heart) proclamation of Jesus Christ which always appeals to conversion.
- An introduction that leads someone to the love of God, personal repentance, conversion of heart, and a decision in faith to follow Jesus.
- It is the power of God when Christ is proclaimed to awaken faith and lead someone to accept Jesus as Lord, deciding to entrust herself/himself to Jesus Christ.
The Kerygma – Everyday Terms
The Good News of Jesus Christ:
- God created you for a relationship with Him.
- Our relationship is broken through sin.
- Jesus restores our relationship.
- We are invited to repent and follow Jesus.
Pope Francis – “Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you; and now he is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen, and free you.”