Building a Path of Discipleship
Pre-Evangelization (meeting human needs)
- Friendship – build trust
- Spiritual Curiosity – asking questions
- Spiritual Openness – ready to learn more
- Spiritual Seeking – actively seeking God
Discipleship (“learner”/follower of Jesus)
- Encounter – open to discipleship
- Beginning Disciple – committed to Jesus
Stewardship (recognizing everything is a gift from God; grateful & generous lifestyle)
- Growing Disciple – observable changes in behavior
- Commissioned Disciple – take part in the mission of the Church
Evangelization/Apostleship (proclaiming the Gospel through word and action/one who is “sent”)
- Disciple Maker – lead someone to Jesus
- Spiritual Multiplier – train and equip others to evangelize
- Social Justice
- This is not a linear process.
- Steps can happen at the same time, happen very quickly or backslide.
- Focus on the “why” and not the “what”.
- God reveals Himself gradually to man. (Old Testament – God, New Testament – Jesus, Jesus’s Ascension – Holy Spirit.
- God’s method of teaching (similar process to any good coach):
- He meets us where we are at.
- He challenges us to the next level.
- He helps us to the next level.
- St. Paul 1 Corinthians 3:2 “I fed you milk, not solid food, because you were unable to take it.”
- A disciple should develop a divine mindset – mind controlled by God to be able to understand the things of God.
- Two crucial aspects of discipleship:
- Self-denial: make God the center of your life, not yourself.
- Take up your cross: forsake all to follow Jesus.