An important component of the work of the Respect Life Apostolate is its effort to impact public policy. Without successfully improving our laws, our efforts to educate and provide abortion alternatives will achieve limited results.
The number of abortions in the United States increased dramatically after the 1973 decisions by the Supreme Court. The law not only permits abortion but it teaches abortion. The laws of our nation should not permit us to violate fundamental rights of other human beings. The legality of abortion communicates a message that abortion is a legitimate and ethical option to deny many the first and fundamental right of the Right to Life. Laws should assist the efforts of the Church and others in the private sector who attempt to provide quality alternatives to individuals facing a crisis pregnancy. Our nation's public policies need to prohibit abortion and offer support to parents, children and families.
The RLA works with Parish Respect Life Committees to maintain and build effective email and letter-writing efforts, online alerts, and phone trees which can be mobilized to contact public officials regarding pertinent legislation. The RLA works in close cooperation with the Missouri Catholic Conference and United States Conference of Catholic Bishops to keep the people of the archdiocese well informed about legislation on the state and federal levels.
Public Policy Initiatives
The RLA partners with other Catholic and pro-life organizations in several public policy events and initiatives each year.
- March for Life Pilgrimage: Coming soon!
- Midwest March for Life: Coming soon!
- March on the Arch: Coming soon!
- Show Me Life Lobby Day: In conjunction with Missouri Right to Life, the RLA attends and promotes this annual pro-life lobby day in Jefferson City each March. The day provides a chance for the united pro-life movement in Missouri to meet and lobby their state legislators, encourage them to pass pro-life laws that protect the inherent dignity of each human person, and be informed and inspired at the noon rally. Click here to learn more about the 2020 Show Me Life Lobby Day on Tuesday, March 10.
- Missouri Catholic Conference Annual Assembly Day: The MCC is the public policy agency for the Catholic Church in Missouri. MCC hosts their Annual Assembly Day each October which the RLA attends and promotes throughout the Archdiocese of St. Louis. Click here to learn more about the 2020 Assembly Day on Saturday, October 3.