ARCHDIOCESAN CHORAL FESTIVAL
Date: Thursday, February 6, 2020
Location: Fontbonne University, 6800 Wydown Blvd., Clayton, MO 63105
Time: 8:30am - 2:30pm (Times will be made definite when the number of participating choirs becomes known. Space is limited and registrations will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis. Schools may be limited to registering one ensemble if the festival fills before all schools register.)
Entry Fee: $50 per ensemble. Ensembles will be registered only after the entry fee is received.
Registration Deadline: Friday, December 8, 2019
Adjudicators: Dr. Stephen Mager - Artistic Director and Conductor, Masterworks Chorale and Children's Chorus
Paula Martin - Artistic Director, Kirkwood Children's Chorale; Director of Choirs (retired), Oakville High School
Sr. Patricia Giljum, CSJ (adjudicator only) - Former Dir. of Fine Arts, Archdiocese of St. Louis
Nicholas Moramarco (clinician only) - Music Program Director, Fontbonne University
Each choral ensemble will be given a total time allotment of 30 minutes: up to 15 minutes for approaching the stage, a short warm up, and performance; and a minimum of 15 minutes for an on-stage clinic with one of the clinicians who heard them perform, and exit from the stage. Choral ensembles will receive written commentary and an mp3 link to recorded comments by two clinicians.
- Choir ensembles of any voicing (SA, SSA, SATB, TTBB, etc.) are encouraged to participate.
- Secondary and "select" or "auditioned" elementary choral ensembles may participate. Secondary school choirs will be given preference over elementary school choirs.
- There is no minimum or maximum size for choral ensembles.
- Each choral ensemble will perform on stage in Fontbonne University's chapel.
- Each choral ensemble may perform a maximum of three (3) selections. Ensembles will be asked to stop if the allotted performance time of 15 minutes is reached in order to ensure a minimum of 15 minutes for the on-stage clinic.
- Quality festival music should be selected; "pop" music is not appropriate.
- Each choral ensemble must provide an original score for both adjudicators.
- Number the measures on each score.
- Choral ensembles may use a warm-up room during the 20 minutes immediately preceding their performance. This includes the time it takes to travel to the performance space after warmup.
- The festival is evaluative, NOT competitive. Ensembles will receive a written evaluation form and will be emailed a link to an mp3 recording of comments given by the adjudicators given during the performance.
- Schools are encouraged to arrive early and/or stay after their performances and clinics to listen to other ensembles.
- Lunch is not provided, but space is available for dining should schools wish to bring their own lunches and drinks.