User Menu

DonationsUpGoldenrod.jpg
Calvary Historical Tour Points 1 - 11 Print E-mail

1. Robert E. Hannegan

Upon entering the cemetery through the main gate, at the first intersection on the right side of the road in Section 18 is the cross-monument and grave of Robert E. Hannegan. Hannegan served as Postmaster General of the United States under Harry S. Truman, appointed on May 8, 1945. He was also owner of the St. Louis Cardinal baseball team 1947-1949.

Birth: Jun. 30, 1903
Death: Oct. 6, 1949
{mosgallery:slideshow:52}
Start Stop Previous Next

2. All Saints Garden Mausoleum and Chapel, Major Seth W. Cobb

Continue on the main road to visit the beautiful All Saints Outdoor Mausoleum and Chapel on the left.   The beautiful fountain creates an atmosphere for tranquil prayer and reflection.  Art glass from the private chapel of James Clemens Jr. (Mark Twain's cousin) has been installed in the entrance door.  Single and tandem crypts are available, as are niches for the entombment of cremated remains.   A few triple crypts are also offered.  Proceed and stop at the first road.  Look left to see the scroll top sarcophagus of Major Seth Wallace Cobb, C.S.A., who served in the artillery of the Army of Northern Virginia, before coming to St. Louis.  He married Zoe Desloge (a daughter of a pioneer French family ofo Missouri) and became a prominent business owner and politician.

3. General Daniel M. Frost

Turn immediately on the road to the right of the Scullin mausoleum and stop just prior to the next intersection.  On the left corner is the lot of General Daniel M. Frost, who served in the Confederate Army, although a man of northern birth and a graduate of West Point.  The name of his wife, Harriet M., is inscribed on the monument.

Frost graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1844 and later won a brevet for gallantry in the Mexican War. After resigning from the army in 1853, he engaged in business in St. Louis and was active in the Missouri militia in 1861. Paroled after his capture at Camp Jackson, he was not exchanged until after Price's capture of Union officers at Lexington, Missouri.  In March 1862 he was promoted to the rank of brigadier general in the Confederate army. He served as a staff officer to General Bragg and under General Hindman in Arkansas at the battle of Prairie Grove. Frost left the army for Canada as a result of the banishment of his wife and family from their home near St. Louis. Unfortunately, he left without bothering to advise the Confederate War Department and was dropped from the rolls in 1863. After the war he returned to St. Louis, where he farmed until his death.

Birth: August 9, 1823
Death: October 29, 1900
Start Stop Previous Next

Start Stop Previous Next

4. Bernard Pratte,
Lewis Bogy,
Nidelet, Michel & Noonan families, Colonel John Knapp, Thomas C. Reynolds

Turn right (toward Calvary Avenue), following the outer road along the Calvary Avenue fence to the island where Sections 1 and 3 meet. Stop to the left of the island; near the fence on the right side of the road you can walk to the graves of Bernard Pratte, merchant and grandchild of Marie Therese Bourgeois Chouteau "mother of St. Louis" (see #28), and his family.  He was the first St. Louis born Mayor serving 1844-1846.  He oversaw the levee paved with cobblestones, the installation of gas street lights and opened Cty Hospital.  Pratte later was elected President of the Bank of the State of Missouri.  Nearby are the graves of  Lewis Bogy, former U.S. Senator from Missouri and various members of the Nidelet, Michel and Noonan families.  Down further in the same area is the roadside lot of Colonel John Knapp, U.S.A.  In addition to his military service, Knapp devoted his entire life to the success of the Missouri Republican, the most powerful and influential journal of the Southwest.  Behind at the fence is the mausoleum of Thomas C. Reynolds, Confederate governor-in-exile.

5. Henry von Phul, Elizabeth von Phul Cooke, Staff Officer Cooke, Charles Gratiot

Across the road from Knapp in Section 3 is the large cross-monument of Henry von Phul, prominent St. Louis merchant of more than 100 years.  On the adjoining lot find his daughter, Elizabeth von Phul Cooke, and her husband, Staff Officer William Mordecai Cooke, C.S.A., who served on Governor Jackson's staff at the battles of Boonville, Carthage and Wilson's Creek.   Nearby is the grave of Charles Gratiot, brother-in-law of Auguste Chouteau.
Start Stop Previous Next

Start Stop Previous Next

6. Antoine Soulard

Just beyond von Phul and Gratiot is the ledger and grave of Antoine Soulard, last Surveyor-General of Upper Louisiana under the Spanish Regime.

7. Alexander J. P. Garesche

Further back in the same section is the family of Alexander J. P. Garesche, St. Louis attorney and triumphant foe of the Drake Constitution for Missouri.

Wife: Laura C.
Children were: Alexander, Eugene, William, Henry, Edmond, Juliette

Birth: March 1, 1823
Death: Nov. 10, 1896
Start Stop Previous Next

Start Stop Previous Next

8. Gabriel P. Paul, James C. Barry

Drive to the left, to see in Section 2 on the right, the elaborately carved soft-stoned monument of Gabriel P. Paul, pioneer architect of St. Louis.  Continue. On the left is the lot of James C. Barry, St. Louis Mayor during the cholera epidemic and great business district fire of 1849.  He was praised for his handling of both of these catastrophes, and instructed that all City ordinances also be published in German due to the increasing immigrant population.  Barry later became a valued member of the Missouri Historical Society.  His ledger is now illegible.

9. Sergeant James E. Flynn, John Withnell

Continue, stopping at the second intersection where both Sections 7 meet. Near the end of Section 7 on the left, behind the roadside lot of Coffey-Hamilton, is the lot and military marker of Sergeant James E. Flynn, U.S.A., who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his volunteer participation in the Battle of Vicksburg, Mississippi.  Turn right on the first road. On the left (in Section 3) is the quaint old Gothic enclosure of brown sandstone, marking the lot of John Withnell, a member of the Calvary Cemetery First Board of Incorporators.
Start Stop Previous Next

Start Stop Previous Next

10. Priests' Lot

Immediately ahead at the top of the hill is the original Priests' Lot, on which are the memorials of Archbishop Peter Richard Kenrick, the founder of Calvary Cemetery; his successor, Archbishop John J. Kain; and the grave and marker of Thomas Franklin, a black man who served these two Archbishops and their successor, Cardinal John J. Glennon.

11. Charles Sanguinet family,
James Clemens Jr., Sherrard Clemens, 2nd Lt. Powhatan H. Clarke, Lt. Powhatan H. Clarke

Continue to see (in Section 3 on the left) the grey granite monument on the lot of the Charles Sanguinet family, early settlers from Quebec. Adjoining is the Clemens lot, where the cousins of Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) are buried.  James Clemens, Jr. owned the Old Rock House on the river front for over fifty years. Ledgers mark the graves of Congressman Sherrard Clemens, U.S.A., 2nd Lt. Powhatan H. Clarke (with a military marker as a Medal of Honor recipient for his service in the Indian Wars), and his son Lt. Powhatan H. Clarke, who served in WW1.  Art glass from the private chapel in the home of James Clemens Jr. has been installed in both the St. Vincent de Paul chapel in Resurrection Cemetery and in the All Saints Mausoleum chapel in Calvary Cemetery (see #2 above).
Start Stop Previous Next